Greek citizens can now visit the United States for up to 90 days without the need for a visa. In March 2010, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that they were adding Greece to the Visa Waiver Program (Visa Waiver Program, or VWP)
It means that citizens of selected states can now enter the US without the need for a visa. The addition of Greece to the US VWP is another step in the ongoing cooperation between the two states.
Besides, it substantially confirms that Greece fulfills the required security requirements and has implemented information exchange mechanisms as a means of securing safe and legal travel, both in Greece and the US.
The ESTA license, in the context of the VWP, is the best choice for Greek citizens who wish to travel to the US shortly for purposes like:
- if you are a professional and would like to take a short training trip or business meeting with clients
- If you are a student and would like to do an internship
- if you are a tourist to the US
- or just traveling to another US stopover
ESTA is the best way to enter the country without the time-consuming and tedious visa approval process. Everything is done online, and the requirements are minimal, making ESTA even more attractive. Besides, the approval is valid for two years and can be used for multiple US visits.
What documents do I need to travel to the USA with ESTA?
All you need to do is complete the application, which contains basic personal information, information about US travel arrangements, and some security questions.
You will need:
- A valid passport (at least 6 months)
- Digital photo with white background
- make the payment required
ESTA Online Application must be completed at least 72 hours before the trip. The application must then be printed with the electronic approval and submitted at the airport upon departure.
What else do I need to know?
- For the ESTA Application to be valid, travelers must hold a valid Greek passport issued after August 26, 2006. If the passport has been issued before that date, you have to issue a new passport.
- Also, travelers who already have a Visa do not need to complete the ESTA Application. In case of non-approval of the online ESTA Application, the procedure for applying for a Visa must be followed.
- Approval of the ESTA Application does not imply definitive entry into the US. The final decision is made at the United States Airport, Department of Passport Control.
- As of January 21, 2016, new regulations apply to the entry of Greeks (and all nationalities of the EFTA program) into the US. Specifically, travelers who have visited any of Iran, Iraq, Syria or Sudan since March 1, 2011, and then have to apply for a non-immigrant Visa by appointment at the US Embassy in Athens. The new regulations also apply to those who have a second nationality (other than Greek) in one of the four countries above.
Finally, every travel authorization requires a fee to process the application and it is 49 Euros only. The payment is also made online, so the applicant must have his / her credit card ready/PayPal or a different method of payment available
After submitting the application and payment, you will receive an ESTA application number, which you can use to check the status of your application. Some applications are approved immediately, while for others you have to wait up to 72 hours.
Your travel permit application can be approved, pending (in this case you will need to re-check its course within a few hours) or rejected (which means you will need to apply for a US travel visa).
Because the application is online, it is preferable to complete it yourself and have personal access to the application instead of outsourcing it to a third party, such as our website. This can also protect you from fraudulent actions.
Our office has years of experience in helping people with the ESTA Application with Greek passports. Therefore, let us know if you find any difficulties along the way and we are always happy to help!